Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Illustrative Process...not entirely annoying!


      So I thought i might try something different with today's post. Instead of just showing you the finished product, i thought i might show you the process I go through. Just in case, like myself when I first started, you were clueless on how illustrators approach a piece. They really problem-solve!
     My usual practice when approaching a piece is just go at it with a medium of my choice and not really brainstorm/sketch too much...with mixed results. Ever since I've switched to the illustration major, I've had to slow down my process and re-do sketches like, a million times before it's "done", and i admit, with better, more cohesive results. It was frustrating at first because i'm naturally impulsive and a tad impatient, but now I can see how it can be really useful.
     So here's how it goes, our professors act as Art Directors and give us an assignment/job and we bam out thumbnails. This assignment was for an in-book illustration in graphite: I chose Game of Thrones because I'm a huge fan. We sketched 12 thumbs (about 4"x5.5") in all but here are some ideas that actually made the cut:

Ghost with a zombie arm.
Melissindre giving birth to a shade. I think the faces are so funny in this one.

Arya plucking a grave worm from a skull in the house of black and white.
We are given feedback (proportion, contrast, crop, composition, references, etc.) and we do final sketches of the 3 and from there the instructor (or in real life, the art director) chooses one image, makes further suggestions for changes and gives us he green light to do the final artwork. These are the 3 final sketches(about 5.5"x8") I provided to pick from....
This is the one my profe green-lighted with still more corrections to do...



      So after all that push and pull, drawing and re-drawing I did the final piece....


So yeah, this is how i'm working now a days. It's better to have a plan and revisit ideas than to risk doing one of these....
http://c257.r57.cf3.rackcdn.com/10aa0b2e81ba7cc24a3f258bfe70757e2545518388-1345733856-503644e0-620x348.jpg
Stay classy my friends. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment